Sunday, April 3, 2016

Weeks 5 & 6


"A little spark of kindness can put a colossal burst of sunshine into someone's day":

Monday: Complimented someone's outfit at work
Tuesday: We were out of coffee at work, but I have a stash of K cups in my desk drawer, so I gave one to a coworker.
Wednesday: Sent a message to a co-worker that I knew was having a really long and stressful week doing one of our camps. I've done camps for kids at other jobs and it is exhausting, so I thought a nice message would give her the energy to get through the rest of the week.
Thursday: Let someone merge in front of me in traffic
Friday: Bought a drink for someone at the bar.
Saturday: Told a manager about the good service we got at a restaurant from the waitress.

Sunday: Over tipped for a meal
Monday: bought a co-worker's favorite candy for her since I saw it and thought of her. Chocolate on a Monday is always a good thing.
Tuesday: Let someone turn in front of me out of a parking lot.
Wednesday: Bought coffee for the person behind me in the Starbucks drive through.
Thursday: E-mailed a complimentary message to our IT guy at work for responding to an issue I had so quickly.
Friday: Sent a message of encouragement to a co-worker who was taking a big test that day.
Saturday: Bought ice cream for the husband, even after I told him I wasn't going to make a special stop for it.

Someone replied to my blog last time I posted that this was a good reminder that acts of kindness don't have to be grand gestures. There's a young adult book out there called 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It's phenomenal. It's about a girl who kills herself and she has left behind 13 tapes for specific people explaining why she decided to end her life. It's not a cheerful read, but has a great message. Some of the things that happen to the main character are major, but other's are just small things that piled on top of each other to create a larger problem. I feel like everyone has days where a lot of small things go wrong and these add up to a day that feels unbearable. If my small act of kindness can help to negate those small negative things that happen to a person in a day, I feel like I have done my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment